Host Family letter

Ich weiss ich bin ziemlich früh dran mit dem bewerben, doch die Orga hat gemeint das das kein Problem wär, also hab ich jetzt mal ein host family letter geschrieben, da man den bei der bewerbung mitschicken muss…
Bitte sagt mir ob der gut ist oder ob ihr noch i-welche verbesserungsvorschläge habt ^^
Wär echt nett denn ich glaub mein englisch is nicht grad das beste
:grin:

Dear Host-Familiy

First of all I want to thank you for reading my letter and take me in your family for one year.

In this letter I’m going to tell you something about myself, my family and daily life here in Germany.

My name is XXX XXX and I’m 14 years old. I´m very happy that I have the opportunity to spend a year in America for me a dream becomes true.

At the moment I’m 14 years old, but when I go to America I´m 16. I’ve been borned at the 29th April 1995 in XXX it has about 43.705 inhabitants and I’ve lived there also until September 2009, then we moved into a near village called XXX it has about 2850 inhabitants it´s ca. 3.11 miles from Lahr away. My family is not very big but it´s Ok for me.We are 4 persons: My Mother (45 years old), My father(47 years old) and my brother(19 years old). My family is evangelical except my father he´s catholic, but we don´t go often to the church, in our family religion is not a so important part.

I’m a student in the 9th grade and I visite the XXX-Gymnasium in XXX. Actually I like it to go to school, but not the whole time. I´m learning English since the 5th grade, I can speak it relativ fluent, but it’s not the best. I also learn French since the 7th grade but I don’t like it. My favoutite subjects are English and Art. School ends usually at 12.55 but on Monday it takes longer because I got Afternoon school until 15.15. I do my homework when I come home, mostly I need not more than one hour.
When I’ve finished the school I want to go to university, but I didn’t decided what I want to study.

When School is over I often meet my friends, we do a lot of things and we have a lot fun together.
My hobbies are skiing, listening to music, cooking(I’m not a good cook but I love it and sometimes it tastes actually good), meeting friends, watching movies.
I´m not very sporting but in America I would try to do some sports, maybe Lacrosse or Cheerleading. I love it to go skiing, I also can snowboarding but I prefer skiing because in snowboarding I´m very bad. My family and I go sometimes on vacation in other coutries. For example I´ve been in England, Spain, Italy, Tunesia (north Africa). I like it to go travel but I´ve never been in America or alone without my family in a host family before.

I’m a very open-minded, flexible, friendly girl. At the beginning I’m often shy, when I meet people I don’t know, but as soon as I get to know the people, the shyness disappears very quickly.

I love nearly all kinds of animals especially cats and dogs, but I really don’t like snakes or other reptiles and insects. I’ve got no problems with people who smoke except they were smoking in the house.

I want to go for a year to america because I´ve always been fascinated in your country. I want to get to know more about the daily life and the culture. I want to get a part of your family and not only a guest. I thing it’s the best way to get to know the coutry, the people and the language.

Yours sincerely,
XXX XXX

Hey :slight_smile: also schau dir doch die Punkte noch mal an :grin: , manche klingen einfach nur besser, musst du wissen was du wirklich ändern willst :wink:

Dear Host-Familiy

First of all I want to thank you for reading my letter and FOR TAKING (woher denn der Zeitenwechsel?) me in your family for one year.

In this letter I’m going to tell you something about myself, my family and daily life here in Germany.

My name is XXX XXX and I’m 14 years old. I´m very happy that I have the opportunity to spend a year in America.IT REALLY IS A DREAM COMING TRUE.(…)

At the moment I’m 14 years old, but when I WILL COME to America I WILL BE 16 (zeit…) . I’ve been BORN (unregelmaessiges verb) at the 29th OF April 1995 in XXX it has about 43.705 inhabitants and I’ve lived there until September 2009, then we moved into a near village called XXX, WHICH has about 2850 inhabitants and is ABOUT 3.11 miles from Lahr away. My family is not very big but it´s ok for me.(hmm, seltsam…)We are 4 persons: My Mother (45 years old), My father(47 years old) and my brother(19 years old). My family is evangelical except FOR my father ,WHO´s catholic, but we don´t go to church OFTEN(Satzstellung), in our family religion is not AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR DAILY LIFE.

I’m a student in the 9th grade and I visit the XXX-Gymnasium in XXX. Actually I like it to go to school, but not the whole time. I´m learning English since 5th grade, I can speak it ALMOST (?) fluently, but it’s not the best (hmm, also macht der Satz wirklich sinn?) . I also learn French since 7th grade but I don’t like it. My favorite subjects are English and Art. School USUALLY ends at 12.55 but on Mondays it takes longer because I have Afternoon school until 15.15. I do my homework when I come home, I USUALLY DON’T need more than one hour.
When I’ve finished the school I want to go to university, but I HAVEN’T decided what I want to study.

When School is over I often meet my friends, we do a lot of things and we have a lot OF fun together.
My hobbies are skiing, listening to music, cooking(I’m not a good cook but I love it and sometimes it ACTUALLY tastes good), meeting friends, watching movies.
I´m not very sporting but in America I would LIKE TO try to do some sports, maybe Lacrosse or Cheerleading. I love it to go skiing, I snowboard, TOO, but I prefer skiing because in snowboarding I´m very bad. My family and I sometimes GO on vacation in other coutries. For example I´ve been in England, Spain, Italy, Tunesia (north Africa). I like TRAVELLING but I´ve never been in America or alone without my family in a host family before.

I’m a very open-minded, flexible, friendly girl. At the beginning I’m often shy, when I meet people I don’t know, but as soon as I get to know the people, the shyness disappears very quickly.

I love nearly all kinds of animals especially cats and dogs, but I really don’t like snakes or other reptiles and insects. I’ve got no problems with people who smoke except if they are smoking in the house. (Nich ganz sicher mit dem Satz… :smiley: )

I want to go for a year to America because I´ve always been fascinated BY your country. I want to get to know more about the daily life and the culture. I want to BECOME a part of your family and not only a guest. I thing it’s the best way to get to know the coutry, the people and the language.

Yours sincerely,
XXX XXX

Viel Erfolg und ganz viel Spass in Amerika :grin:
:+1:

Hallöchen,
hier noch mal en paar Vorschläge von mir :slight_smile: :

Bei der Familen Beschreibung würde ich das so machen:
My mother is called… and she is … years old. She works as… . (das würde ich dann bei den anderen auch so machen. Halt deine Familie noch etwas ausführlicher beschreiben.

Ich würde nicht alle Länder aufzählen wo du warst. Es reicht wenn du schreibest das du schon in England warst und mit deiner Familie gerne verreist und das du noch nie in Amerika warst.

Außerdem würde ich die Begründung warum du in die USA willst glaube ich weiter nach vorne tun. Das habe ich auch gemacht und es wurde auch nichts von meiner Organisation dagegen gesagt. Ich denke es ist wichtig auch das sie wissen warum du dort hin willst und deswegen würde ich es an den Anfang setzten. Und im unteren Teil kannst du es ja dann auch noch mal ausfürlicher schreiben!

Sonst finde ich deinen Brief toll :slight_smile:

Alsoo ^^
erstmal dangge für die ganzen verbesserungen :grinning: hat mir wirklich sehr geholfen ^^
jetzt hab ich den ganzen brief etwas umgeändert und ich will ihn dann morgen wegschicken und da wollt nochmal fragen ob der so gut ist und wie ihr ihn jetzt findet ^^

LG Petra :slight_smile:

Dear Host family,

First off all I want to thank you for thinking about being a host family for me. It’s nice from you to give me the chance to get a part of your family and spend one year abroad.
In this letter I’m going to tell you something about myself, my family and my daily life here in Germany.

My name is Petra XXX and I’m 14 years old. I’m very happy and excited to spend a year in America for me a big dream becomes true.

At the moment I’m 14 years old, but when I will come to America I will be 16. I’ve been born at the 29th April 1995 in a city called XXX, it has about 43.705 inhabitants and I’ve lived there also until September 2009, then we moved into a near village called XXX which has about 2850 inhabitants and is about 3.11 miles from XXX away.
We are 4 persons: My Mother is called XXX she is 44 years old, she works as a secretary in a hospital. My father is called XXX he is 47 years old, but he hasn’t a job at the moment and my brother is called XXX he is 19 years old and he studies maths. They’re all very important for me because I know I can talk with them about every problem I have. My family is evangelical except for my father who is catholic, but we don’t go to the church often because in our family religion is not a very important part of our daily life. But I’ve got no problem to go to church when you want to go.

I’m a student in the 9th grade and I visit the XXX-Gymnasium in XXX. My school isn’t very big there are ca. 460 pupils on it. Actually I like it to go to school, but not the whole time. I’m learning English since the 5th grade, I also learn French since the 7th grade but I prefer English. I think English is an amazing language but mine is not the best so I want to improve it. My favourite subjects are English, Art and Social Studies. School begins normally at 7:45am and it ends usually ends at 12:55pm, but on Monday it takes longer because I got Afternoon school until 15:15 pm.
When I’ve finished the school I want to go to university, but I haven’t decided what I want to study.

After school my family sometimes eats together and then I’m doing my homework and learn for school.
I don’t have many chores in the household, but I sometimes help my mother in the kitchen and I tidy up my room by myself.
I often meet my friends some of them I know since I was in the nursery school. We do a lot of things and we have a lot of fun together. I like them much they’re very important for me.
My hobbies are skiing, listening to music (different kinds, for example pop and rock), cooking (I’m not a good cook, but I love it and sometimes it actually tastes good), meeting friends, watching movies and go shopping.

I’m not very athletically but in America I would like to try to do some sports, maybe Lacrosse or Cheerleading. I love it to go skiing, I snowboard, too, but I prefer skiing because in snowboarding I’m very bad. My family and I sometimes go on vacation in other countries. For example I’ve been in England and Spain. I like travelling but I’ve never been in America or alone without my family in a host family before.

I would describe myself as a very open-minded, flexible, interested, helpful and friendly girl. At the beginning I’m often shy, when I meet people I don’t know, but as soon as I get to know the people, the shyness disappears very quickly. I love laughing; having fun and do interesting things and just being happy, but sometimes I need to talk about serious things.

I’ve got no pets, but I love nearly all kinds of animals especially cats and dogs. But I really dislike snakes or other reptiles and insects.

I think the school system in the U.S. is different from ours. I would like to get to know the new school system because I always was interested in it. I am really looking forward to my first American school day. I especially like that there is so much activities offered after school and that you can take the courses you want and you be interested in.

I want to go for a year to America, because I’ve always been fascinated by your country. I want to get to know more about the daily life, the culture and I want to feel the “american way of life”. I want to become a part of your family and not only a guest. I thing it’s the best way to get to know the country, the people and the language.

I hope you enjoyed reading my letter and getting an impression who I am.
I would be very happy if you would choose me for being the exchange student in your family.

Best regards from Germany,
XXX