Dear Host Family------>bitte verbessern oder kritisieren. DANKE

Hallo,
bin gerade dabei meine Platzierungsunterlagen auszufüllen und habe jetzt mal einen Erstentwurf für einen Host-Family-Letter geschrieben.
Manche Formulierungen habe ich von anderen hier im Forum abgeschrieben.
Wenn das ein Problem für euch ist, dann bitte melden.

Alsoooooo:

Dear Family!

The first thing I want to do is to thank you for giving me the chance to spend a school year in the USA.
It’s my biggest dream for such a long time/I always dreamed (in the truest sense of the word) of doing this, because I always wanted to know what life is like somewhere around the world.

My name is XXX and I am 16 years old. I was born on the 7th July 1993 in Troisdorf, which is a town close to Bonn in south western Germany. Bonn is a quite old city and was once the capitol of Germany and it is the birthplace of the composer Ludwig van Beethoven. There is much more to say about Bonn and I could tell you something more about my hometown.
Our house is about 20 minutes far away from the city center in a village, called “Oberdollendorf“. I live there with my little sister XX (14), my mother XX (42) and my father XX (46). I’ve a very good/lovely relationship to them and they are very importand for me. They support me if I need help or if I have any worries. My sister concerns me a lot/means a lot to me/counts for a lot, because we can talk about everything and we always have a great time together. I’m very glad of having a family like that. We augue rarely and we hold together.
We have a cat called Tinka. She’s a little nag/pain in the neck/She’s a bit trying(anstrengend)/ She gets on my nerves (auf den Wecker gehen)/ a bit nuisance(Quälgeist, Ärgernis) but anyway I really love her.

I usually like going to school, because there I can meet my friends and the most subjects are quite interesting and I’m motivated to earn more knowledge/I’m inquiring(wissbegierig).
History and Biology are subjects I like, but my favorites are English and French. I love to improve them, because with achieving skills, it opens up a little new world, of which you didn’t understand anything in the past. (Ich will damit sagen, dass ich es mag, meine Sprachkenntnisse zu verbessern, weil sich damit für einen eine kleine, neue Welt eröffntet, von der man vorher nichts verstanden hat.)
While holidays in different countries with my family, I love to put my theoretical knowledge to practise.

After lessons, I’m doing homework or learning for some tests for example.
But in my free time I often meet my friends. I got four really good friends. We are all girls and we know each other since five years. I’ve got more frinds, but the four are the closest, the ‚real‘ ones. We always have an amzing time together and I really love them. One of them participates in an exchange programm, too. She goes to Vancouver for five month.
With XX, who also is one of the four, I’m playing volleyball once a week. It’s really fun.
I like to swim, going shopping and lately I teach myself playing the guitar, but I’m really not good yet, it’s just for fun.
In summer I love staying outside and going on a bicycle tour with my friends for example.
Another hobby of mine is to back different cakes and muffins and to cook a bit for my family. I enjoy trying out easy recipes. It would be a pleasure to cook a typically German meal for you.
When I’m stressed out, I chill out by reading some magazines or novels or by listening to my favorite music. The style of music I like depends on my temper. At the moment I like listening to rock music. Because of my likingfor music I’m also singing in the school choir.

I would describe myself as a self-confident, adoptable and a responsible person.
If there is something important for me, I give my best to achieve my goals.
(high-flying (ehrgeizig))
Furthermore I’m broad-minded, friendly and maybe a little bit crazy and I’m frequently good-homored.

Here in Germany I’ve to help a bit in keeping the household and of course I would take aktive part in/I’d play a part in assuming little obligations in your family as well.

Last year I participated in a one-week exchange (from my school) to Paris. It was really interesting to get first impressions of living in a host family and we have seen many sights of Paris. But that felt like being a tourist.
I wish for experience the USA with all of its culture, traditions, habits, etc. I would like to celebrate typical american festivals/celebrations/Feiertage, like Thanksgiving or Halloween.
Another reason among improving my English with the cool american slang:) is to experience something totally new, (which I never had like this before).

I hope you liked my letter (arrogant?) and received an impression of me and my everyday life.
Being a part of your family is one thing I’m really looking forward to and I hope we will have a great time together and (that) I’ll learn more about the American way of life.

With love and greetings from Germany,

Jana

—>Kommt der Brief sympatisch rüber?
—>Überall wo …/… oder (…) sind, bin ich mir nicht sicher, welche Formulierung
besser passt. Könntet ihr mir da vllt. ein bisschen bei helfen?!
—>Fehlt da noch irgendwas Wichtiges, ist der Brief zu lang oder ist was
überflüssig?

Wäre echt super, wenn mir jemand antworten würde.

Lg, Jana.
:wink:

ich find den brief echt gut.
aber ich finde man merkt dass du viele wörter bei Leo.org oder so eingegeben hast damit es iwie besseres englsich wird. das würde ich aber nicht so machen, denn ich denke auch deine evt. Gastfamilie wird sich wundern warum du schon so gut englisch kannst oder aber sie wird sich schon denken dass du wahrscheinlich einen übersetzer hattest.
ich würde eher dein englisch benutzen was du schon kannst… ich finde dann kommt das ehrlicher rüber.

also es kann ja auch sein dass du wrkl so gut englisch kannst. dann würde ich den brief auch so lassen. und dann möchte ich auch meine bewunderung aussprechen(naja eher ausschreiben) wie gut du englisch kannst!:+1:

Lg:grinning:

danke♥